2017: Management handover production

  • Dr. Thomas Lanner takes over production management from Josef Empl (III)

2016: EMPL Academy

  • Construction of the EMPL Academy for customers, staff and apprentices at the EMPL Service Park
  • Expansion of the production hall
  • The office and administration building in Kaltenbach is massively enlarged

 

2015: Management handover & enlagements

  • Joe Empl takes over responsibility for Sales / Marketing from his father Herbert Empl 
  • Expansion of the production in Kaltenbach South: Box body hall und extended fire figthing vehicle production
  • Expansion of the service plant Hall
  • Implementation of a fully automatic bending machine in Kaltenbach
  • Presentation of the new fire fighting vehicle generation: EMPL PRIMUS

2014: Purchase of land

  • Purchase of land in Uderns of 11.000 m², storage areas are roofed and equipped with a photovotaic system
  • Implementation of an extraction system for welding fume and respirable dust in Kaltenbach und Zahna-Elster 
  • Roofing of storage areas in Kaltenbach

2013: EMPL "Technologie Schmiede"

  • Dedication of industrial park “EMPL Technologie Schmiede" with testing track for trucks
  • Investment in test facilities
  • Installation and implementation of the photovoltaic system (Uderns)
  • Awards: Export champion of the niche, Fire fighter supporting employer, GBE Factory Award, Nomination for Trigos

2012: Biggest photovoltaic system of Tyrol

  • Installation and implementation: Biggest photovoltaic system of Tyrol on the roof of the production plant (Kaltenbach)
  • Purchase of land: 1700 m² (Hall)
  • Purchase of land: 5000 m² (Kaltenbach South)
  • Acquisition: Fankhauser hall with modification and establishment of an own export dispatch department
  • EMPL Germany celebrates 20th anniversary
  • Enlagement of production hall in Elster and optimization of workflows

2011: Vehicle testing track

  • Construction of a vehicle testing track (Uderns)
  • Decision to invest in the biggest photovoltaic system in Tyrol as well as in an industrial park in Kaltenbach and Uderns
  • Implementation of a new CNC laser cutting machine (Kaltenbach)
  • Implementation of a photovoltaic system on the roof of the production plant (Klöden)

2010: Certification according to ISO 14001

  • Integration of the environmental management system and certification according to ISO 14001
  • A new visitors and employees parking - 5.500 m² (Kaltenbach) - is built
  • New welding and cargo - body assembling hall as well as changeover to natural gas (Kaltenbach)
  • In the German factory the roof of the production plant is equipped with photovoltaic cells for electrical power generation

2009: Management handover in Elster

  • DI (FH) Uwe Göbel is appointed as new Managing Director
  • Puchase of land in Elster of 17.095 m²
  • Production plant in Klöden is rented to a construction fitter
  • Pater - Jakob - Gapp - Prize (acception for social engagement)

2008: Investments

  • Purchase of land in Elster of 17.518 m² for prospective increase
  • Purchase of a new aluminium sand blasting equipment and new robot equipments in Kaltenbach

2007: EMPL Service Park

  • The ultramodern EMPL Service Park (ESP) with a new fire fighting vehicles production and service station with pump test bench, washing hall and hydraulic facility is put into operation
  • Furthermore publicly available canteen, seminar premises as well as an experience show room together with a fire fighting shop are located in the new building
  • Puchase of land in Uderns of 13.000 m²
  • The new tipping body and rock dump body “TITAN” generation is presented to the public
  • Moreover in Elster the new production and office structure is commissioned by the end of the year. Production capacity is herby tripled

2006: Estates are acquired

  • Purchase of land in Elster of 6.000 m² and Kaltenbach of 9.300 m²
  • Construction of the new facilities
  • A marketing office is opened in Shanghai
  • In the division of "Industrial fire fighting vehicles" and "Defence & Authorities" EMPL reaches an essential market edge because of new and further development

2005: Investments in main plant

  • The office building in Kaltenbach is enlarged massively
  • A new washing and inspection hall is put into operation
  • Planning phase for a new R & D Centre, several production halls as well as a factory canteen and seminar rooms

2004: New generation of fire fighting vehicles

  • A new generation of fire fighting vehicles “MOD-Tech” equipped with CAN - Bus and GFK - Tech is presented to the public
  • New welding robots are put into operation in Kaltenbach and Elster
  • Planning for Elster II and Kaltenbach South
  • Negotiations with the municipality of Elster concerning an additional realty start

2003: New premises

  • 31. July: the municipal council of Kaltenbach together with its chairman Klaus Gasteiger and Heinz Empl sign a trendsetting contract for a new extension in order to consolidate the main office in Kaltenbach. The new area, which has a size of about 11,660 m², will offer facilities for research and development
  • Other additional projects are new premises for cooperative companies as well as the removal of the maintenance and repair department to this new area

2002: Move to Elster

  • In January the final-assembly moves from the plant in Klöden to the new plant in Elster
  • In June the new administration building in Elster goes into operation
  • The plant in Klöden is reengineered to handle series construction work
  • In the plant in Kaltenbach a new inspection and hand over hall, including a customer bar and a delivery office, is installed, which is unique in Europe

2001: Groundbreaking in Elster

  • Groundbreaking of a new facility, including production and administration, in Elster (D)
  • Building of a new production-hall in Kaltenbach is started. Already in December the final-assembly-department moves into the new building with a size of about 3.500 m² 
  • One of he most modern painting and steel blasting facilities all over Europe goes into operation
  • The fire fighting production moves into the recently purchased and adapted “Fankhauser Halle”

2000: EMPL Private Foundation

  • To secure the long-term existence of the Empl Fahrzeugwerk Ges.m.b.H. over generations, the "EMPL Private Foundation" is founded
  • Site extensions are carried out at the Kaltenbach plant
  • ~ 28.000 m² of land are puchased in Elster (D)

1999: Site extensions Hall

  • Site extensions of 2.430 m² in the plant in Hall are carried out.

1997: Service and assembly plant in Hall

  • Puchase of land - 2.889 m² - planning and building of a new service and assembly plant in Hall
  • Start of operation in the new EMPL plant in Hall on 20.10.1997
  • Introduction of a new integrated IT system (SAP)

1996: Location enhancement

  • Purchase of a building site in Hall

1995: Certification according to ISO 9001

Certification of the quality management systems:

  • Certification of Kaltenbach and Innsbruck: 06 .- 08. February according to ISO 9001
  • Certification of Klöden: 09. - 10. February according to ISO 9001

1992: Production site within the EU area

EMPL purchases the former FAGEMA company in Klöden from Treuhand ges.m.b.H. Five reasons for a production site within the EU area:

  • Austria joining the EU was uncertain at this time
  • not to lose the market built up during the German unification, as there is a massive customer demand for a production and service location
  • to generate production capacities
  • to be able to purchase more economically due to higher production numbers
  • proximity to the future potential markets in the east of europe

1991: Sales office Leipzig

  • EMPL opens a sales office in Leipzig with one staff member
  • Conversion of the "Ges.m.b.H. & Co KG" into a mere "Ges.m.b.H." ("Co. & Partners Ltd." into a mere "Ltd.")

1990: Opening of the new company buildings

  • "Empl - Fahrzeugwerk Ges.m.b.H. & Co KG" celebrates the official opening of the new company buildings. The ceremony takes place on Saturday, 21st April, the official address is given by the Provincial Prime Minister Alois Partl
  • Presentation of the new product range

1989: Enlargement main plant Kaltenbach

  • Between March and December the new buildings go up overnight. The production building and the fully automatic warehouse have a total useful area of 3000 m²
  • The administration building, which was designed according to the newest aspects of office design, extends over 500 m²
  • In total the space covered by the additional buildings has an extent of 30.000 m³

1988: Draft of the new main plant Kaltenbach

  • Draft for the new EMPL buildings is presented (a new production building and a new administration building)
  • The negotiations for building approval take place in December 1988

1986: Start fire fighting business

  • EMPL starts with the continuous production of fire engine bodies

1983: Entering the export business

  • EMPL risks entering into the export business with clever products
  • The list of countries, in which vehicles with EMPL bodies are used, extends from Australia to Zimbabwe, in alphabetical order
  • Mag. Heinz Empl enters the company and takes over financial affairs

1978: Shift to main plant

  • EMPL shifts to the new factory buildings. The new premises allow for a more modern, more effective and more competitive production
  • Assembly hall, paint shop and the auxiliary rooms, have a size of 2000 m²

1977: Start „new“ EMPL factory

  • A purchase contract is signed at the notary's office in Zell by which 9,000 m² of ground changes ownership
  • The signature to this contract is the starting point for the planning of the „new“ EMPL factory

1975: Application for shifting the company

  • Josef Empl (II) files a new application for shifting the company and finds a supporter in the Mayor
  • He convinces the municipal council of the necessity to shift the EMPL factory

1974: Takeover „Stafler“ factory

  • Takeover of the „Stafler“ factory in Innsbruck, which is known for its dump truck bodies 
  • At the factory all repairs of truck bodies, trailers, cranes and loading tailgates for EMPL customers were carried out
  • The fast service and the professional workmanship of all services earn the EMPL repair shop a good reputation

1972: Capacity of the site exhausted

  • The company had experienced a steady upward development. After several alterations and additions to the buildings, the capacity of the site is exhausted. 
  • Furthermore, Kaltenbach had developed to an aspiring tourist location, where having hotel rooms and metal-working industry side-by-side in the long-run would have caused problems
  • On the 8th of November, 1972 Josef Empl (III) writes to the Council of Kaltenbach, in which he asks for the allocation of a suitable building site outside the town center
  • Shifting the company is also sought after to due to reasons of securing its existence, as the restricted working conditions cause ineffective work flows and the dependence on third party companies
  • The shifting plans proposed by EMPL fail at first, as the council-due to the lack of a suitable building site-cannot fulfil the request for an alternative area

1970: Management handover

  • Josef Empl (III) takes over production management
  • Herbert Empl takes over responsibility for sales

1967: Herbert Empl enters the company

  • Herbert Empl enters the company, first working in engineering, later in production management

1964: Production start of truck bodies

  • Start of production of the first truck bodies
  • Since then the manufacturing of tailor made special designs has been one of the specialities of the Zillertal factory
  • Over the following years the entire vehicle fleets of food companies and other major customers were equipped with EMPL bodies
  • The path taken - the production of clever products conforming to the highest technical standards - proves to be the right one to an ever greater extent

1956: Development of driving shaft trailer

  • On behalf of the trust of agricultural technology EMPL builds a driving shaft trailer for a single-axle mountain tractor
  • The pre-financing of this project is realized by a man, to whom the interests of the mountain farmers were of great concern, the later Provincial Prime Minister Eduard Wallnöfer

1949: First trailer with pneumatic tyres

  • At the first Klagenfurt trade show after the war Josef Empl (II) causes a sensation with an agricultural trailer with pneumatic tyres - an absolute innovation at that time
  • Patent applications for fold-down stakes for wood transportation and multifunctional superstructures (precursor of the interchangeable body system) were made

1948: Foundation "Alpenländischer Fahrzeugbau"

  • Josef Empl (II) founds the "Alpenländischen Fahrzeugbau – J. Empl" - ("Alpine Vehicle Manufacturer")

1945: Return from captivity

  • After his return from captivity Josef Empl (II) reopens the family business, which in the meantime had closed down
  • He proves to be far-sighted by completely reforming the company and starting a production which was already then tailored to meet demand

1940: Josef Empl (II) takes over the company

  • The founder of the company Josef Empl (I) dies unexpectedly
  • At the age of 17, son Josef (II) takes over the company
  • Three people were employed, the „boss“ being the youngest of them
  • To be able to maintain production, Josef Empl (II) is exempted from military service until 1943
  • He uses the delay to pass his master's certificate and becomes the youngest blacksmith master of the then "German Reich"

1926: Production start „Zillertal wood ploughs“

  • Josef Empl (I) purchases the house Kaltenbach Number 5. It is proven that the house had already served as a blacksmith for more than 200 years
  • Start of production of „Zillertal wood ploughs“, which were then known and valued throughout the whole country